Tuesday 23 December 2008

Two tables at Hollywood Poker

Just had an interesting and challenging session on Hollywood Poker. Tried out the PokerTracker3 HUD this time rather than Holdem Manager (HEM) and, thanks in part to the latest beta update, I managed to find all the features I use in HEM apart from an easy way to filter the main PT3 db by players I'm currently pitted against on the virtual felt. 

In HEM, you can run the player filter restricted to players at your table so it's easy to get a full breakdown. I use it to find out who's running good at the table as this can indicate the better players.

Read a lot of useful posts on the 2+2 forums before heading to the tables.
e.g.:
From the last link, here's a sobering quote:
1. You won’t get rich quick.
2. You’re not half as good as you think you are (severely understated).
3. To consistently make any money worth talking about, it takes more work than you’ve imagined (severely understated).
4. To consistently make any money worth talking about, it takes longer than you’ve imagined (severely understated).
and also:
PLAY LESS!

When you’re just starting, it doesn’t make sense for most players to be playing a ton of hands. If you’re not studying at least twice as much as you’re playing, you’re doing yourself a HUGE disservice. 

I'm pretty sure I'm reading more than I'm playing. The play is definitely very important though. I read loads before I started playing and almost none of it stuck. It's all just beginning to make sense!

No comments: